Friday, April 18, 2008

Shane Hammon


This is a great shot of Shane Hammon. This guy was and is a monster. When I completed my USAW Club Coach Coursework at the OTC in Colorado Springs the first thing I saw as I parked my car near the dorms was Shane's truck. A big black 4x4 with "1000lb squat" stenciled in the rear window. It did not take a genius to figure out who the owner of that truck was. For the next few days I was able to go down to the training hall and watch lifters preparing for the trials, which were to be held in the spring of 2000 but more importantly, get ready for the 2000 games. I have many pictures that I will have to scan and upload- most are of Shane doing some massive behind the neck jerks off of jerk blocks. The final morning before testing, I went down to breakfast and got to break bread with Shane. Great kid- very humble and focused, could not have been more down to earth- in the end, a a great meal and the opportunity to spend some time with one of America's greatest olympic lifting talents.

No comments: