Monday, March 24, 2008

Dips n' Chins


Today's WOD from the Crossfit mainsite was 30 muscle ups for time. Now, I had been doing these with rings attached to the top of a power rack and using a jumpstretch band to give me some bounce out of the bottom. I thought I was doing pretty good and that I could easily manage one MU on my own on a set of high rings. At the GSX cert, when it was my time to step up and try a muscle up, I failed miserably. I flailed and jerked around but could not get even close to a MU. My grip was slipping, and I am use to using chalk (Nicole volunteered that I looked like I could use some chalk...) but this is only an excuse. I felt extremely weak in the initial pull to get myself high enough to get into the transition phase (pull to dip)- it is or was that simple. I have come home with a goal of getting multiple MU's before the summer is up and first I need to shore up my weak chin-up strength. Instead of scaling MU's with jumpstretch bands and jumping etc... I decided to use a conjugate template somewhat. I will break the movement down into a technique phase or speed phase, using a functional trainer, or rings lowered to midway to ground- moving into some strength work on chins/dips, then finishing with the WOD of high reps chins and dips as a sub for the MU's. Worked pretty well today- arms and shoulders feel fairly smoked but time will tell if this play works, I need to get an unassisted MU!

Warm-ups
Airdyne for 1minute/calories x 24,22,24,28,28
Followed with 1 minute plank or bridge x 5

Technique work/speed work
Using a Functional trainer- performed a pulldown with the double handles and transitioned into a dip
70/6 x 3 90/5 x 3 *need to get the right percentages down here...just guessing, will use 60% bodyweight next time.

Strength Work
Chins 30/3 40/3 50/3 60/3 70/2
Dips 35/3 45/3 55/3 65/3 75/3

WOD 30 MU's for time....subbed 120 chins and 120 dips for time
16:28

No comments: