Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Walks the Walk


Article published Oct 1, 2008
Hammonton teacher winning bodybuilding, lifting titles


By GIUSEPPE UNGARO
Staff Writer
gungaro@thehammontonnews.com
Chuck Cloud decided to follow his own advice.

The Hammonton High School teacher, who also coaches the power lifting squad, preaches to his kids about dedication and discipline.

Right around the time he turned 40, Cloud decided to practice what he preaches, but starting to power lift himself and also compete in bodybuilding competitions.

"I just recently turned 40 last February and I decided to dedicate myself," Cloud explained. "As a coach I always tell my kids how to do well so I wanted to do it myself and put my money where my mouth is and go out there and do it. I have kids who are 14, 15 and 16 years old doing great things so why not try to do that myself. I want to be a role model for the guys."

Cloud, who lives in Voorhees, won a dead lift competition in Delaware on Saturday. Cloud lifted 250 pounds 20 times, which is more than one and a half of his body weight.

"It didn't seem like much in the beginning and then a guy at the meet told me I lifted (5,000 pounds) consecutively without stopping. And then I was sore," said Cloud.

The Delaware competition was the latest victory for Cloud, who has transformed his body since turning 40. Cloud lost 25 pounds and two pants sizes with the help of his dietician Annette Boulden and trainer Charles Walker, in order to compete as a bodybuilder.

"It's a 24-hour, 7-days a week endeavor," Cloud said of bodybuilding. "It's not only showing up and lifting weights. Power lifting is easy. For bodybuilding there is the diet, the tanning and the training. The most important part is posing for the presentation. You could be bigger than the other guys, but don't pose well ... the hard part is tying all that together."

He also won a reps meet in Western Maryland, and set a state record on Bordentown in late June.

On the bodybuilding circuit, Cloud won the novice lightweight and finished as the runner up in the Masters 40 category at the USBF jersey Shore Natural Classic in Brick on Sept. 20.

Later this month Cloud will be traveling to Denver for a big bodybuilding competition.

"Right now it's a hobby and I want to take it as far as it goes," he explained. "I'm having fun with it and I'm meeting new people."

Despite his success in both sports, Cloud's biggest thrill is the fact that he has transformed himself, and that he can be an example for his students and athletes.

"I they are proud to see me put my money where my mouth is," said Cloud. "It they need to lift they know they can go out there and do that."

He added: "A light bulb went off and I decided to get serious about diet and fitness. Being a part of the power lifting team kept me involved. We had a great season and we basically ran the table there. Last week it was a nice cold morning and the kids all wore the state championship jackets, so there is a lot of pride there ... what I say to my kid in school is that if you push yourself to the limits and have fun you can go a long way."

No comments: